Emeritus Professor GOH Suat Hong
Personal Web Page
| B.Sc., 1964, Nanyang University; M.Sc., 1966, University of Akron; Ph.D., 1971, University of Akron; D.Sc., 1993, National University of Singapore
| Department of Chemistry, NUS
3 Science Drive 3
| Office: S9-03-01
My current research interests cover the following areas:
Polymer and materials science
We are interested in the synthesis and properties of C60-end-capped polymers. For double-C60-end-capped polymers, the aggregation of C60 moieties leads to a network-like structure. As a result, the polymers possess superior mechanical properties than the parent polymers. For example, the end-capping of poly(ethylene oxide) with C60 transforms a waxy and weak polymer to a strong and tough material. Similarly the end-capping of poly(n-butyl methacrylate) with C60 increases the tensile strength and toughness of the polymer by 240 and 190 %, respectively. A combination of a double-C60-end-capped polymer and a linear thermoplastic polymer produces a pseudo-semi-interpenetrating polymer network. For example, poly(vinyl chloride) can be strengthened and toughened simultaneously through the addition of double-C60-end-capped poly(n-butyl methacrylate).
Polymer/carbon nanotube composites
To produce high performance polymer/carbon nanotube composites, the nanotubes are to be homogeneously dispersed in the polymer matrix and the polymer-carbon nanotube interfacial adhesion has to be strong. The two requirements can be met by using polymer-grafted carbon nanotubes. Our recent research focuses on the grafting of polymers such as polyethylene and pheonxy onto carbon nanotubes using a reactive blending method. The mechanical properties of several polymer/polymer-grafted multiwalled carbon nanotubes composite systems are being studied.
S. H. Goh. Miscible polymer blends. In Polymer Blends Handbook, 2nd Edition, Volume 3. Edited by L. A. Utracki and C. A. Wilkie. Springer, New York. Chapter 21, pp. 1915-2151 (2014).
J. Li*, C. Yang, H. Li, X. Wang, S. H. Goh and K. W. Leong. Polycationic polyrotaxanes capable of forming complexes with nucleic acids. US Patent 7,883,688 (08 February 2011).
- B. X. Yang, K. P. Pramoda, G. Q. Xu and S. H. Goh*. Mechanical reinforcement of polyethylene using polyethylene-grafted multiwalled carbon nanotubes. Advanced Functional Materials, 17, 2062-2069 (2007).
- M. Wang, J. H. Shi, K. P. Pramoda and S. H. Goh. Microstructure, crystallization and dynamic mechanical behavior of poly(vinylidene fluoride) composites containing poly(methyl methacrylate)-grafted multiwalled carbon nanotubes. Nanotechnology, 18, Article 235701 (2007).
- B. X. Yang, J. H. Shi, K. P. Pramoda and S. H. Goh. Enhancement of stiffness, strength, ductility and toughness of poly(ethylene oxide) using phenoxy-grafted multiwalled carbon nanotubes. Nanotechnology, 18, Article 125606 (2007). (A Featured Article)
- C. Yang, H. Li, S. H. Goh and J. Li. Cationic star polymers consisting of alpha-cyclodextrin core and oligoethylenimine arms as nonviral gene delivery vectors. Biomaterials, 28, 3245-3254 (2007).
- Y. Wang, L. S. Wang, S. H. Goh and Y. Y. Yang. Synthesis and characterization of cationic micelles self-assembled from a biodegradable copolymer for gene delivery. Biomacromolecules, 8, 1028-1037 (2007).
- X. J. Loh, S. H. Goh and J. Li. New biodegradable thermogelling copolymers having very low gelation concentrations. Biomacromolecules, 8, 585-592 (2007).
- X. Li, K. L. Liu, J. Li, P. S. Tan, L. M. Chan, C. T. Lim and S. H. Goh. Synthesis, characterization , and morphology studies of biodegradable amphiphilic poly[(R)-3-hydroxybutyrate]-alt-poly(ethylene glycol) multiblock copolymers. Biomacromolecules, 7, 3112-3119 (2006).
- J. Li, C. Yang, H. Li, X. Wang, S. H. Goh, J. L. Ding, D. Y. Wang and K. W. Leong. Cationic supramolecules composed of multiple oligoethylenimine-grafted Î²-cyclodextrins threaded on a polymer chain for efficient gene delivery. Advanced Materials, 18, 2969-2974 (2006).
- M. Wang, K. P. Pramoda and S. H. Goh. Reinforcing and toughening of poly(vinyl chloride) with double-C60-end-capped poly(n-butyl methacrylate). Macromolecules, 39, 4932-4934 (2006).
- M. Wang, K. P. Pramoda and S. H. Goh. Enhancement of interfacial adhesion and dynamic mechanical properties of poly(methyl methacrylate)/multiwalled carbon nanotube composites with amine-terminated poly(ethylene oxide). Carbon, 44, 613-617 (2006).
- M. Wang, K. P. Pramoda and S. H. Goh. Enhancement of the mechanical properties of poly(styrene-co-acrylonitrile) with poly(methyl methacrylate)-grafted multiwalled carbon nanotubes. Polymer, 46, 11510-11516 (2006).
- Y. Liu, D. C. Wu, W. D. Zhang, X. Jiang, C. B. He, T. S. Chung, S. H. Goh and K. W. Leong. Polyethylenimine-grafted multiwalled carbon nanotubes for secure noncovalent immobilization and efficient delivery of DNA.Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 44, 4782-4785 (2005).
- D. C. Wu, Y. Liu, C. B. He and S. H. Goh. Blue photoluminescence from hyperbranched poly(amino ester)s,Macromolecules, 38, 9906-9909 (2005).