Lecturer Hoang Truong Giang
B.Sc., National University of Singapore (2004, First Class Honors) Ph.D., University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, USA (2012)
Tel: (65)-6516-4554 | Fax: (65)-6779-1691
- Organic Synthesis: Development of New Reaction Methodologies via Transition Metal Catalyzed Bond Activation Processes
- Chemical Education: Development of New Undergraduate Teaching Laboratories (Organic)
New experiments were designed based on the Diels–Alder reaction of 2,3,4,5-tetraphenylcyclopentadienone, which is synthesized prior to or in a one-pot reaction, with styrene. Students are presented with three possible products, the endo and exo diastereomers and the decarbonylated product. Both versions of the synthesis introduce students to two important and atom economical reactions, use of the Karplus relationship for 1H NMR interpretation, and the power of X-ray crystallography for molecular structure determination.
- CM1501 Organic Chemistry for Engineers
- CM3222 Organic Reaction Mechanism
- CM3291 Advanced Experiments in Organic and Inorganic Chemistry
- Hoang, G. T.; Kubo, T.; Young, V. G.; Kautzky, J. A.; Wissinger, J. E. Illustrating the Utility of X-ray Crystallography for Structure Elucidation through a Tandem Aldol Condensation/Diels-Alder Reaction Sequence. J. Chem. Educ. 2015, 92, 1381-1384.
- Hoang, G. T.; Pan, Z. D.; Brethorst, J. T.; Douglas, C. J. Intramolecular Oxyacylation of Alkenes Using a Hydroxyl Directing Group. J. Org. Chem. 2014, 79, 11383-11394.
- Hoang, G. A. T.; Reddy, V. J.; Nguyen, H. H. K.; Douglas, C. J. Insertion of an Alkene into an Ester: Intramolecular Oxyacylation Reaction of Alkenes through Acyl C-O Bond Activation. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 1882-1884. [Selected by the Editorial Board as a “Hot Paper”].
- Chng, S. S.; Hoang, T. G.; Lee, W. W. W.; Tham, M. P.; Ling, H. Y.; Loh, T. P. Synthetic studies towards anti-SARS agents: application of an indium-mediated allylation of alpha-aminoaldehydes as the key step towards an intermediate. Tetrahedron Lett. 2004, 45, 9501-9504.