Lecturer Linda SELLOU
M.Sc. [Hons], Lille, France, 2004; Ph.D., Bristol University, United Kingdom, 2008.
Tel: (65)-6516-6628 | Fax: (65)-6779-1691
Recognition and Achievements
- Recipient of the University Engagement Awards for 2008 for International Outreach, University of Bristol.
Colloidal chemistry, Structure in Colloidal Silica and its influence on abrading surfaces
Characterise the physical properties of silica particles on surfaces and relate them to their internal structures. Understand the relationship between the physical properties of the particles and the abrasion produced on surfaces by brushing. This research was in collaboration with Professor Martin Addy from Bristol’s Department of Oral & Dental Science, because the types of silica involved in the study are used in the manufacture of toothpaste and Professor Rob Richardson from the Physics Department, Bristol for the X-rays scattering facilities.
Current Interest in Outreach and Chemical Education
- Developing chemistry outreach and awareness amongst school students and general public in Singapore and South East Asia and pedagogy to teach chemistry at the undergraduate level.
- Outreach Experience: Teaching Fellowship, Bristol ChemLabS, Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL). Invited Speaker at Rhodes University (South Africa), National University of Malaysia (UKM) and Chemistry workshops for both public and schools’ engagement in UK, Jersey, Ireland, Singapore, Brunei, France and South Africa.
- Sellou, L.; Harrison T. G. Big smile! Toothpaste Chemistry. Chem. Rev. 2008, 17, 2.
- Shallcross, D. E.; Harrison, T. G.; Henshaw, S.; Sellou. L. Fuelling Interest: Climate Change Experiments. Sci. Sch. 2009, 11, 38-43.
- Shaw, A. J.; Harrison, T. G.; Medley, M. I.; Sellou, L.; Shallcross, K. L.; Croker, S. J.; Williams, S. J., Shallcross, D. E. University-School Partnerships: Polymer Chemistry Days Run at a University for 14-15 year Olds and Their Impact on Attitudes to Science’. Acta Didact. Napocensia 2010, 3, 9-26.