Senior Lecturer TAN Sue Qing, Emelyn
B.Sc. (Hons), University of Canterbury, 2002; Ph.D., University of Canterbury, 2006.
Tel: (65)-6516-2674 | Fax: (65)-6779-1691
Recognition and Achievements
- Chair for Outreach Committee, AY2017/2018 and AY2018/2019
- Faculty Teaching Excellence Award AY2012/2013
- Excellent Young Teacher Award AY2010/2011
- Teach analytical, general, physical and material chemistry modules.
- Educational research include development of technology enhanced teaching tools focusing on molecular animations media and mobile apps, and evaluating their educational impact.
Tools aim to enable 3D spatial visualisation at a molecular scale.
- Media at YouTube channel NUS Chem Emelyn Tan.
- Mobile apps published on Apple App Store and Google Play Store to date are SYM MO, SM2 Chem, Animol, 3D Sym Op and ARMolVis.
Lee, G. Y. P.; Chang, L.; Tan, W. Y.; Tan, J. Y. C.; Tan E. S. Q. Are Chemistry Educational Apps Useful? – A Quantitative Study with Three In-House Apps. Chem. Ed. Res. Prac. 2018, 19, 15-23.
- CM2192 Experiments in Chemistry 3
- CM3292 Advanced Experiments in Analytical and Physical Chemistry
- CM5101 Advanced Analysis and Characterization Techniques (Coordinator)
- Lee, G. Y. P.; Chang, L.; Tan, W. Y.; Tan, J. Y. C.; Tan E. S. Q. “Are Chemistry Educational Apps Useful?” – A Quantitative Study with Three In-House Apps. Chem. Ed. Res. Prac. 2018, 19, 15-23.
- Tan, E. S. Q.; Soo, Y. J. Creating Apps: A Non-IT Educator’s Journey Within a Higher Education Landscape. In Mobile Learning in Higher Education in the Asia Pacific: Harnessing Trends and Challenging Orthodoxies, ed. Murphy, A., Farley, H., Dyson, L. E. and Jones, H.; Springer : Asia, 2017; pp 213-238.
- Tan, E. S. Q.; Teo, J. L. D. Appsolutely Smartphones: Usage and Perception of Apps for Educational Purposes. Asian J. Scholar. Teach. Learn. 2015, 5, 55-75.
- Chin, C. F.; Tian, Q.; Setyawati, M. I.; Fang, W.; Tan, E. S. Q.; Leong, D. T.; Ang, W. H. Tuning the Activity of Platinum(IV) Anticancer Complexes through Asymmetric Acylation, J. Med. Chem. 2012, 55, 7571-7582.
- Rong, J.; Dao, T. K. L.; Xu, B. X.; Xu, J. W.; Goh, B. L.; TAN, E. S. Q.; Xie H. Q.; Liew, T. Lubricant Pickup Under Laser Irradiation. IEEE Trans. Magn. 2011, 47, 1988-1991.
- Tan, E. S. Q.; Ridha, W.; Toh, C. S. Heterogeneous and Homogeneous Aptamer-Based Electrochemical Sensors for Thrombin. Electroanalysis 2009, 21, 749-754.