Assistant Professor Goki EDA
Department of Chemistry, NUS
3 Science Drive 3
Tel: (65) 6516 2970
Fax: (65) 6777 6126
Dimensionality is one of the most fundamental parameters that determine the physical characteristics of materials. This is not so obvious in ordinary macroscopic objects that consist of atoms bonded in a three-dimensional (3D) structure. However, the effect of dimensionality is more than conspicuous in crystalline solids that are arranged in 0D, 1D, or 2D structure. In fact, we observe dramatically different properties for a given chemical compound depending on how we arrange its crystal structure.
Our research group is interested in studying the electronic, optical, and chemical phenomena in atomically thin 2D crystals such as graphene and transition metal dichalcogenides. We aim to address technological challenges in the areas of optoelectronics, energy harvesting, and catalysis by exploiting the unconventional properties of these materials. Specifically, we focus on the following aspects of 2D crystals:
- Light-matter interaction
- Exciton dynamics
- Charge transport
- Intercalation chemistry
- Phase transformation
- Colloidal processing
- Thin film growth
Strong coupling between excitons and plasmons gives rise to electromagnetically induced transparency
- D. Kozawa, A. Carvalho, I. Verzhbitskiy, F. Giustiniano, Y. Miyauchi, S. Mouri, A. H. Castro Neto, K. Matsuda, and G. Eda “Evidence for Fast Interlayer Energy Transfer in MoSe2/WS2 Heterostructures” Nano Lett. 16, 4087 (2016).
- W. Zhao, S. Wang, B. Liu, I. Verzhbitskiy, S. Li, F. Giustiniano, D. Kozawa, K.P. Loh, K. Matsuda, K. Okamoto, R.F. Oulton, and G. Eda “Exciton-plasmon coupling and electromagnetically induced transparency in monolayer semiconductors hybridized with Ag nanoparticles” Adv. Mater. 28, 2709 (2016)
- W. Zhao, R.M. Ribeiro, and G. Eda “Electronic structure and optical signatures of semiconducting transition metal dichalcogenide nanosheets” Acc. Chem. Res. 48, 91 (2015).
- D. Kozawa, R. S. Kumar, A. Carvalho,
A. K. Kumar, W. Zhao, S. Wang, M. Toh, R. M. Ribeiro, A. H. Castro Neto, K. Matsuda, G. Eda “Photocarrier relaxation pathway in two-dimensional semiconducting transition metal dichalcogenides” Nat. Comm. 5, 4543 (2014).
- H. Schmidt, S. Wang, L. Chu, M. Toh, R. Kumar, W. Zhao, A. H. Castro Neto, J. Martin, S. Adam, B. Özyilmaz, and G. Eda, “Transport Properties of Monolayer MoS2 Grown by Chemical Vapor Deposition” Nano Lett. 14, 1909 (2014).
- D. Voiry, H. Yamaguchi, J. Li, R. Silva, D.C.B. Alves, T. Fujita, M.W. Chen, T. Asefa, V.B. Shenoy, G. Eda, and M. Chhowalla “Enhanced catalytic activity in strained chemically exfoliated WS2 nanosheets for hydrogen evolution” Nat. Mater. 12, 850 (2013).
- G. Eda and S. Maier “Two-dimensional crystals: managing light for optoelectronics” ACS Nano 7, 5660 (2013).
- G. Eda, H. Yamaguchi, D. Voiry, F. Takeshi, M. Chen and M. Chhowalla “Photoluminescence from chemically exfoliated MoS2” Nano Lett. 11, 5111 (2011).