Assistant Professor LU Jiong
B.Sc., Fudan University, 2007; Ph.D., National University of Singapore, 2011; Postdoctoral fellow, National University of Singapore and University of California at Berkeley, 2011-2014.
Tel: (65)-6516-2683 |
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Personal webpage
Recognition and Achievements
- Wang Gungwu Medal and Prize, NUS, 2012
- Best Graduate Researcher in Chemistry, NUS, 2011
Our group will conduct interdisciplinary research on low-dimensional materials for optoelectronic, energy and environmental related applications. We aim to understand and control the chemical and physical processes from the atomic to the macroscopic scale for creating novel functional materials and devices. In particular, we are interested in exploring nanoscale chemical and physical phenomena with an aim towards understanding the basic properties of single atoms and molecules at surfaces in a device environment.
Two-dimensional black phosphorus has sparked enormous research interest due to its high carrier mobility, layer-dependent direct bandgap and outstanding in-plane anisotropic property. It is one of the few 2D materials where it is possible to tune the bandgap over a wide energy range from the visible to the IR spectrum. A team led by Assistant professor Lu Jiong has demonstrated an electrical field-controlled giant Stark effect in black phosphorus for potential applications in advanced electro-optic devices.
This work has recently been published in Nano Letters (doi:10.1021/acs.nanolett/6b05381) and highlighted in Nature Photonics(doi:10.1038/nphoton.2017.102).
- CM4251 Characterization Techniques in Materials Chemistry
- CM4253 Materials Chemistry 2
- Liu, Y.; Qiu, Z.; Carvalho, A.; Bao, Y.; Xu, H.; Tan, S. J. R.; Liu, W.; Castro Neto, A. H.; Loh, K. P.; Lu, J. Gate-Tunable Giant Stark Effect in Few-Layer Black Phosphorus. Nano Lett. 2017, 17, 1970-1977.
- Wickenburg, S.; Lu, J.; Lischner, J.; Tsai, H. Z.; Omrani, A. A.; Riss, A.; Karrasch, C.; Bradley, A.; Jung, H. S.; Khajeh, R.; Wong, D.; Watanabe, K.; Taniguchi, T.; Zettl, A.; Castro Neto, A. H.; Louie, S. G.; Crommie, M. F. Tuning Charge and Correlation Effects for a Single Molecule on a Graphene Device Nat. Commum. 2016,7,13553.
- Tsai, H. Z.; Omrani, A. A.; Coh, S.; Oh, H.; Wickenburg, S.; Son, Y. W.; Wong, D.; Louie, S. G.; Lu, J.; Cohen, M. L.; Crommie, M. F. et al. Molecular Self-assembly in a Poorly Screened Environment: F4TCNQ on Graphene/BN. ACS Nano 2015, 9, 12168-12173.
- Lu, J.; Gomes, L. C.; Nunes, R. W.; Neto, A. H. C.; Loh, K. P., Lattice Relaxation at the Interface of Two-Dimensional Crystals: Graphene and Hexagonal Boron-Nitride. Nano Lett. 2014, 14, 5133-5139.
- Yang, B.; Xu, H.; Lu, J.; Loh, K. P., Periodic Grain Boundaries Formed by Thermal Reconstruction of Polycrystalline Graphene Film. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 12041-12046.