Associate Professor ANG Siau Gek
||B.Sc., 1981, National University of Singapore; M.Sc., 1984, National University of Singapore; Ph.D., 1987, Cambridge University
|Department of Chemistry, NUS
3 Science Drive 3
My research interests lie in the study of structures of organic and organometallic compounds using a variety of spectroscopic techniques and other physical techniques including X-ray diffraction methods.
Osmium and ruthenium cluster compounds containing Group 15 ligands
Our work in this area focuses on the synthesis and chemistry of ligands containing nitrogen, phosphorus and arsenic, examples of which are C6F5NNNC6F5, (C6H5P)5, CF3PH2, (CF3)2As-As(CF3)2, (C6H5)2P-SC6H5, and C6H4P3(C6H5)3. Reactions of these ligands with activated osmium and ruthenium clusters gave rise to a range of new cluster derivatives with intriguing bonding and structural features (see Figure 1 for example of a ruthenium cluster derivative).
Figure 1. Ruthenium cluster derivative
Fabrication of Organometallic Nanostructures
Interest in the nanostructures of metals, metal oxides, and semiconductors has been rapidly increasing because of their novel characteristic properties and the diversity of potential applications. We are working on a series of Metal Tetraaminophthalocyanine (MTAPc, Figure 2) nanowires with different central metals and are characterizing them using a field-emission scanning electron microscope (FE-SEM) (example of FE-SEM image in Figure 3).
Figure 2. MTAPc
Figure 3. FE-SEM image of NiTAPc nanowires
- Ang, H. G., S. G. Ang and Xiao Wang. Formation of new cluster derivatives of triphospholene via ligand substitution and cleavage of P-P bond(s). Journal of the Chemical Society, Dalton Transactions, 2000, 3429-3434.
- Ang, S.-G., X, Zhong and H.-G. Ang. Reactions of 1,2,3-triphenyl-1,2,3-triphosphaindan with activated triosmium carbonyl clusters: characterization and crystal structure of the products. Journal of the Chemical Society, Dalton Transactions, 2001, 1151-1158.
- Ang, S.-G., X. Zhong and H.-G. Ang, 1,2,3,4-Tetraphenyl-1,2,3,4-tetraphospholane - a highly versatile cyclocarbaphosphine ligand: reactions with activated triosmium clusters and characterization of the products.Â Inorganic Chemistry, 2002, 41, 3791-3800.
- Yang, G.-Y., S.-G. Ang, L.L. Chng, Y.W. Lee, E.W.-P. Lau, K.S. Lai and H.-G. Ang, Synthesis and Nonlinear Optical Absorption of Novel Porphyrin-Osmium-Cluster Complexes. Chem. Eur. J., 2003, 9(4), 900-904.
- Ang, S.G., B.W. Sun and S. Gao. Synthesis, crystal structures and magnetic properties of one- and two-dimensional copper (II) complexes bridged by succinate. Inorganica Chemistry Communications, 2004, 7, 795-798.
- Ang, S.G. and B.W. Sun. Crystal Structure and Characterization of Organic-Inorganic Hybridized Molecules with Molecular Zipper Structures and Two-Dimensional Grid Networks. Crystal Growth & Design, 2005, 5, 383-386.
- Sun, B.-W., H. Liu, G.-Y. Yang, S.G. Ang and H.G. Ang. Bis[1,3-bis-(pentafluorophenyl)triazenido]-tricarbonyl-osmium(II). Acta Crystallographica, 2006, E62,m1329-m1331
- Wu, J., S.G. Ang and G.Q. Xu. Atomic force microscopy study of self-assembled sodium chloride nanocrystallites and their morphology transitions. J. Physical Chemistry C, 2008, 112, 7605-7610.
- Gu, F., G.Q. Xu and S.G. Ang. Studies on CuTAPc-nanotube-modified electrodes as chemical sensors for NO. Nanotechnology, 2009, 20, 305501 (8pp).
- Yap, C.M., G.Q. Xu and S.G. Ang. “Amperometric Nitric Oxide Sensor Based on Nanoporous Platinum Phthalocyanine Modified Electrodes”. Analytical Chemistry, 85, 2013, 107-113.