Associate Professor CHUA Lay Lay
B.Sc. Computational Chemistry, NUS, 1995;
Engineer, then Principal Engineer, Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing, 1995-2001;
Member of Technical Staff, Bell Laboratories, 2001-2002;
Research Associate, Cavendish Laboratory, Univ. Cambridge, 2002-2003;
Research Fellow, ONDL, Physics, NUS, 2004-2008;
Ph.D. Physics, Univ. of Cambridge
| Department of Chemistry, NUS
3 Science Drive 3
| Office: S7 03-07
Tel: (65) 6516-4834
Fax: (65) 6779-1691
Several device chemistry aspects that is central to Organic Electronics, including: (i) structure–morphology–property relations (ii) materials development and (iii) energy-level engineering. (iv) functionalisation and development of new applications for solution-processable graphenes and CVD graphene.
G.K. Lim, Z.L. Chen, J. Clark, R.G.S. Goh, W.H. Ng, H.W. Tan, R.H. Friend, P.K.H. Ho, L.L. Chua, “Giant broadband nonlinear optical absorption reponse in dispersed graphene single sheets”, Nature Photonics
, 5(2011) 554. Highlighted by Nature Publishing Group (Asia Materials).
Dispersed single graphene sheets show optical limiting behaviour with limiting threshold lower than the benchmark carbon black suspension and carbon nanotubes through a new nonlinear optical limiting mechanism due to the interaction of the sheets with the environment, and not micro-plasma damage. This leads to the first ever practical non-linear optical-limiting solid-state films that can be incorporated into protective devices.
- P. Sonar, J.M. Zhuo, L.H. Zhao, K.M. Lim, J.H. Chen, A.J. Rondinone, S.P. Singh, L.L.Chua, P.K.H. Ho, A. Dodabalapur, “Furan substituted diketopyrrolopyrrole and thienylenevinylene based low band gap copolymer for high mobility organic thin film transistors”, J. Mater. Chem., 22(2012) 17284.
- G.K. Lim, Z.L. Chen, J. Clark, R.G.S. Goh, W.H. Ng, H.W. Tan, R.H. Friend, P.K.H. Ho, L.L. Chua, “Giant broadband nonlinear optical absorption reponse in dispersed graphene single sheets”, Nature Photonics, 5(2011) 554
- L.H.. Zhao, R.Q. Png, J.M. Zhuo, L.Y. Wong, J.C.Tang, Y.S. Su, L.L. Chua, “The Role of Borderline Solvents to Induce Pronounced Extended-Chain Lamellar Order in pi-Stackable Polymers “, Macromolecules, 44(2011) 9692.
- S. Wang, P-Q. Chia, L-L. Chua,* L-H. Zhao, R-Q Png, S. Sivaramakrishnan, M. Zhou, R.G-S. Goh, R.H. Friend, A.T.-S. Wee, P.K.H. Ho,* "Band-like transport in surface-functionalised highly solution-processable graphene graphene nanosheets", Adv. Mater. 20, 3440 (2008).
- L-L. Chua,* S. Wang, P-Q. Chia, , L. Chen, L-H. Zhao, W. Chen, A.T.-S. Wee, P.K.H. Ho, "Deoxidation of graphene oxide nanosheets to extended graphenites by "unzipping" elimination", J. Chem. Phys. 129, 114702 (2008).
- P.K.H. Ho, L-L. Chua, M. Dipankar, X.Gao, D. Qi, A.T.S. Wee, J.F. Chang, R.H. Friend, Solvent effects on chain orientation and interchain pi-interaction in conjugated polymer thin films: Direct measurements of the air and substrate interfaces by near-edge x-ray absorption spectroscopy, Adv. Mater. 2007, 19, 215.
- Sivaramakrishnan, P-J. Chia, Y.C. Yeo, L-L. Chua, P.K.H. Ho, "Controlled insulator-to-metal transformation in printable polymer composites with nanometal clusters", Nature Mater. 2007, 6, 149.
- L-L. Chua, J. Zaumseil, J.F. Chang, E.C.W. Ou, P.K-H. Ho, H. Sirringhaus, R H. Friend,* "General observation of n-type field-effect behaviour in organic semiconductors", Nature 2005, 434, 194.