Professor Jagadese J. VITTAL
B.Sc., University of Madras, 1975; M.Sc., Madurai University, 1977; Ph.D., I. I. Sc. Bangalore, 1982.
Tel: (65)-6516-2975 |
Email: email@example.com | Personal webpage
Recognition and Achievements
- Outstanding Researcher Award, NUS, 2011
- World Class University Chair Professor, Gyeongsang National University, S. Korea (2009-2013)
- Editorial Board Member, Crystal Growth & Design, from 2012
- Editorial Board Member, Scientific Reports, from 2016
- Erudite Scholar-in-Residence, Kerala State Higher Education Council, India, 2011
Solid state reactivity, inorganic nanomaterials and metal-organic framework (MOF) materials. Current interests include solid-state reactivity, photochemistry and structural transformations, gels and fibers & energy storage materials. Currently we are interested in designing multifunctional materials showing multi-photon absorption, second harmonic generation (SHG) and third harmonic generation (THG) properties, and creating non-centrosymmetry via defects in CPs and MOFs.
This figure depicts a centrosymmetric 1-D coordination polymer showing SHG, THG and multo-photon-excited photo-luminescence depending on the excitation wavelength used. Ref: J. Mater. Chem. C, 2017, 5, 2936.
By changing the position of the fluoro substitution in the ligand and modifying the crystallization conditions, Zn(II) complexes have been shown to exhibit [2+2] photocycloaddition reactions, mechanical motion under UV light and curved single crystals have been obtained. Ref: IUCrJ, 2017, 4, 65-71.
- CM5212 Crystal Engineering
- Vittal, J. J.; Quah, H. S. Engineering Solid State Structural Transformations of Metal Complexes. Coord. Chem. Rev. 2017, 342, 1-18 (Invited).
- Vittal, J.J.; Quah, H.S. Photochemical Reactions of Metal Complexes in the Solid State. Dalton Trans. 2017, 46, 7120-7140 (invited Perspective).
- Mulijanto, C. E.; Quah, H. S.; Tan, G. K.; Donnadieu, B.; Vittal, J. J. Curved Crystal Morphology, Photoreactivity and Photosalient Behaviour of Mononuclear Zn(II) Complexes. IUCrJ 2017, 4, 65-71.
- Medishetty, R.; Park, I. H.; Lee, S. S.; Vittal, J. J. Solid-state Polymerization via [2+2] Cycloaddition Reaction Involving Coordination Polymers. Chem. Commun. 2016, 51, 3989-4001 (Feature article).
- Hameed, A. S.; Reddy, M. V.; Nagarathinam, M.; Runcevski, T.; Dinnebier, R. E.; Adams, S. Chowdari, B. V. R.; Vittal, J. J. Room Temperature Large-Scale Synthesis of Layered Frameworks as Low-Cost 4V Cathode Materials for Lithium Ion Batteries. Sci. Rep. 2015, 5, 16290 (1-11).
- Quah, H. S.; Chen, W.; Schroder, M. K.; Yang, Y.; Wong, M. W.; Vittal, J. J. Multiphoton Harvesting Metal Organic Frameworks. Nat. Commun. 2015, 6, 7954.
- Park, I. H.; Medishetty, R.; Lee, H. H.; Mulijanto, C. E.; Quah, H. S.; Lee, S. S.; Vittal, J. J. Formation of a Syndiotactic Organic Polymer Inside a MOF by a 2+2 Photo-Polymerization Reaction. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 7313-7317.
- Medishetty, R., Bai, Z., Yang, H., Wong, M. W., Vittal, J. J. Influence of Fluorine Substitution on the Unusual Solid-State [2+2] Photo Cycloaddition Reaction between an Olefin and an Aromatic Ring. Cryst. Growth Des. 2015, 15, 4055-4061.