Professor LI Fong Yau, Sam
D.Sc., Ph. D, B. Sc. Imperial College, London, UK
Tel: (65)-6516-2681 | Fax: (65)-6779-1691
Recognition and Achievements
- Outstanding Researcher Award, National University of Singapore/IMRE, 1999
- Dupont Accomplishment Award, DuPont Company, 1993
Areas of research interest include environmental analysis and sensing, water treatment technologies, waste to energy, microbial fuel cells, metabolomics, capillary electrophoresis, bioimaging, nanomaterials analysis, chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry.
Ref: Feng, H. T.; Li, P. J.; Rui, G.; Stray, J.; Khan, S.; Chen, S. M.; Li, S. F. Y., Multiplexing N-glycan analysis by DNA analyzer. Electrophoresis 2017, 38, 1788-1799.
In this paper, a 16-capillary DNA analyzer was coupled with a magnetic bead glycan purification method to accelerate the sample preparation procedure and therefore increase N-glycan assay throughput. Routinely, the labeling dye used for CE-LIF is 8-aminopyrene-1,3,6-trisulfonic acid (APTS), while the typical identification method involves matching migration times with database entries. Two new fluorescent dyes were used to either cross-validate and increase the glycan identification precision or simplify sample preparation steps. Exoglycosidase studies were carried out using neuramididase, galactosidase and fucosidase to confirm the results of three dye cross-validation. The optimized method combines the parallel separation capacity of multiple-capillary separation with three labeling dye, magnetic bead assisted preparation, and exoglycosidase treatment to allow rapid and accurate analysis of N-glycans. These new methods provided enough useful structural information to permit N-glycan structure elucidation with only one sample injection.
- CM4242 Advanced Analytical Techniques
- CM5241 Modern Analytical Techniques
- Feng, H. T.; Su, M.; Rifai, F. N.; Li, P. J.; Li, S. F. Y. Parallel Analysis and Orthogonal Identification of N-Glycans with Different Capillary Electrophoresis Mechanisms. Anal. Chim. Acta. 2017, 953, 79-86.
- Fung, F. M.; Su, M.; Feng, H. T.; Li, S. F. Y. Extraction, Separation and Characterization of Endotoxins in Water Samples Using Solid Phase Extraction and Capillary Electrophoresis-Laser Induced Fluorescence. Sci. Rep. 2017, 7, 10774.
- Ji, Y.; Tay, Z. Y.; Li, S. F. Y. Highly Selective Sulfonated Poly(Ether Ether Ketone)/Titanium Oxide Composite Membranes for Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries. J. Membr. Sci. 2017, 539, 197-205.
- Lai, L. K.; Zhang, L. J.; Li, S. F. Y. Evaluation of the Performance of Zero-Electrolyte-Discharge Microbial Fuel Cell Based on the Type of Substrate. RSC Adv. 2017, 7, 4070-4077.
- Li, P. J.; Ang, A. N.; Feng, H. T.; Li, S. F. Y. Rapid Detection of an Anthrax Biomarker Based on the Recovered Fluorescence of Carbon Dot-Cu(II) Systems. J. Mater. Chem. C. 2017, 5, 6962-6972.
- Li, P. J.; Hong, Y. Y.; Feng, H. T.; Li, S. F. Y. An Efficient "Off-On'' Carbon Nanoparticle-Based Fluorescent Sensor for Recognition of Chromium(VI) and Ascorbic Acid Based on the Inner Filter Effect. J. Mater. Chem. B. 2017, 5, 2979-2988.
- Lin, X. H.; Yin, X. J.; Liu, J. Y.; Li, S. F. Y. Elucidation of Structures of Surface Sulfate Species on Sulfated Titania and Mechanism of Improved Activity. Appl. Catal. B. 2017, 203, 731-739.
- Yin, X. J.; de Carvalho, L. P.; Chan, M. Y.; Li, S. F. Y. Integrated Metabolomics and Metallomics Analyses in Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients. Metallomics 2017, 9, 734-743.