Professor LIU Xiaogang
B. Eng, Beijing Technology and Business University, China; M.S. Chemistry, East Carolina University, U.S.A.; Ph.D. Chemistry, Northwestern University, U.S.A.; Postdoctoral Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S.A.
| Department of Chemistry, NUS
3 Science Drive 3
| Office: S8-05-09
Tel: (65) 6516-1352
Fax: (65) 6779-1691
A post-doc position is available in the department of Chemistry at the National University of Singapore. The candidate should have a Ph.D. in materials chemistry, optics, electronics, applied physics, or other relevant disciplines. The candidate is expected to collaborate with other research groups at NUS and in US. Interested candidates should send a CV, selected publications and the names of references to:
Dr. Xiaogang Liu
Department of Chemistry
National University of Singapore
The research activities of my group encompass supramolecular chemistry, materials science, and bioinorganic chemistry. We use classical chemical techniques as the underlying approach for assembling nanoscale building blocks into complex integrated systems and exploring new science and applications in diverse areas, including the interface between chemistry and biology, catalysis, materials science and nanotechnology. In particular, we are interested in controlling assemblies of dynamically interacting biological molecules and understanding of relations between structure and physical properties. Each of these areas requires development of fundamental skills of experimental chemistry - synthesis and characterization of new compounds, and skill in other techniques - surface spectroscopy, scanning probe and electron microscopies.
-  S. Ranjit, X. Liu*, “Direct Arylation of Benzothiazoles and Benzoxazoles with Arylboronic Acids,” Chemistry: A European Journal 2010, in press.
-  H. Zhang, W. Xu, X. Liu, F. Stellacci, J. T. L. Thong, “Capturing a Single DNA Duplex under Near-Physiological Conditions,” Applied Physics Letters 2010, 97, 163702.
 H. Zhang, C.-L. Wong, Y. Hao, R. Wang, X. Liu, F. Stellacci, J. T. L. Thong, “Self-aligned Nanolithography by Selective Polymer Dissolution,” Nanoscale 2010, 2, 2302-2306.
 Y. Wang, G. Chen, M. Yang, G. Silber, S. Xing, L. H. Tan, F. Wang, Y. Feng, X. Liu, S. Li, H. Chen, “Stoichiometry-Controlled Cross-coupling of Nanoparticles,” Nature Communications 2010, doi: 10.1038/NComms1089.
-  X. Liu*, “Aligned Conjugated Polymers Standing Upright,” Small 2010, 6, 2333-2335.
-  S. Ranjit, Z. Duan, P. Zhang, X. Liu*, “Synthesis of Vinyl Sulfides by Copper-Catalyzed Decarboxylative C-S Cross-Coupling,” Organic Letters 2010, 12, 4134-4136.
-  J. Xu, H. Wang, C. Liu, Y. Yang, T. Chen, Y. Wang, F. Wang, X. Liu, B. Xing, H. Chen,“Mechanical Nano-Springs: Induced Coiling and Uncoiling of Ultrathin Au Nanowires,” Journal of the American Chemical Society 2010, 132, 11920-11922.
-  F. Wang, J. Wang, X. Liu*, “Direct Evidence of Surface Quenching Effect on Size-Dependent Luminescence of Upconversion Nanoparticles,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition
<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/26737/home> 2010, 49, 7456 (Selected as a Very Important Paper).
-  N. Wu, J. Wang, D. N. Tafen, H. Wang, J.-G. Zheng, J. P. Lewis, X. Liu, S. S. Leonard, A. Manivannan, “Shape-Enhanced Photocatalytic Activity of Single-Crystalline Anatase TiO2 (101) Nanobelts,” Journal of the American Chemical Society 2010, 132, 6679-6685.
-  Z. Duan, S. Ranjit, X. Liu*, “One-Pot Synthesis of Amine-Substituted Aryl Sulfides and Benzo[b]thiophene Derivatives,” Organic Letters 2010, 12, 2430-2433.
-  F. Wang, D. Banerjee, Y. Liu, X. Chen, X. Liu*, “Upconversion Nanoparticles in Biological Labeling, Imaging and Therapy,” Analyst 2010, 135, 1839-1854 (One of the top-ten accessed articles from July to September 2010).
-  J. Wang, F. Wang, J. Xu, Y. Wang, Y. Liu, X. Chen, H. Chen, X. Liu*, “Lanthanide-doped LiYF4 Nanoparticles: Synthesis and Multicolor Upconversion Tuning,” Comptes rendus Chimie 2010, 13, 731-736.
-  Q. Zhang, T. Sun, F. Cao, M. Li, M. Hong, J. Yuan, Q. Yan, H. H. Hng, N. Wu, X. Liu*, “Tuning the shape and thermoelectric property of PbTe nanocrystals by bismuth doping,” Nanoscale 2010, 2, 1256-1259.
-  F. Wang, J. Wang, J. Xu, X. Xue, H. Chen and X. Liu*, “Tunable Upconversion Emissions from Lanthanide‐doped Monodisperse β‐NaYF4 Nanoparticles,” Spectroscopy Letters 2010, 43, 400-405 (Special Edition: Spectroscopy of Lanthanide Materials II).
-  F. Wang, Y. Han, C. S. Lim, Y. Lu, J. Wang, J. Xu, H. Chen, C. Zhang, M. Hong and X. Liu*, “Simultaneous Phase and Size Control of Upconversion Nanocrystals through Lanthanide Doping,” Nature 2010, 463, 1061-1065 (Highlighted in Physics World magazine, Analyst with Insight Media, Lianhe Zhaobao, Materials Today, and Xinhua News).
-  C. Jiang, S. Ranjit, Z. Duan, Y. L. Zhong, K. P. Loh, C. Zhang and X. Liu*, “Nanocontact-induced Catalytic Activation in Palladium Nanoparticles,” Nanoscale 2009, 1, 391-394.
-  H. Zhang, R. J. Barsotti, C.-L. Wong, X. Xue, X. Liu, F. Stellacci and J. T. L. Thong, “Polymer-Protected Sub-2-nm-Nanogap Fabrication for Biological Sensing in Near-Physiological Conditions,” Small 2009, 5, 2797-2801.
-  X. Xue, W. Xu, F. Wang and X. Liu*, “Multiplex Single-Nucleotide Polymorphism Typing by Nanoparticle-Coupled DNA-Templated Reactions,” Journal of the American Chemical Society 2009, 131, 11668-11669.
-  X. Liu, “Zinc Oxide Nano- and Microfabrication from Coordination-Polymer Templates,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition <http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/26737/home> 2009, 48, 3018-3021.
-  Z. Duan, S. Ranjit, P. Zhang, X. Liu*, “Synthesis of Aryl Sulfides via Decarboxylative C-S Cross-Couplings,” Chemistry: A European Journal 2009, 15, 3666-3669.
-  W. Xu, X. Xue, T. Li, H. Zeng and X. Liu*, “Ultrasensitive and Selective Colorimetric DNA Detection by Nicking Endonuclease-Assisted Nanoparticle Amplification,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition <http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/26737/home> 2009, 48, 6849-6852 (Selected as a Very Important Paper and featured as a journal inside-cover article).
-  F. Wang and X. Liu*, “Recent Advances in the Chemistry of Lanthanide-Doped Upconversion Nanocrystals,” Chemical Society Reviews <http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/26737/home> 2009, 38, 976-989 (Invited Review Article).
-  C. Jiang, F. Wang, N. Wu, X. Liu*, “Up- and Down-Conversion Cubic Zirconia and Hafnia Nanobelts,” Advanced Materials 2008, 20, 4826-4829 (Selected as a Very Important Paper contribution)
-  F. Wang and X. Liu*, “Upconversion Multicolor Fine-Tuning: Visible to Near-Infrared Emission from Lanthanide-Doped NaYF4 Nanoparticles,” Journal of the American Chemical Society 2008, 130, 5642-5643.
-  X. Xue, F. Wang and X. Liu*, “One-Step, Room Temperature, Colorimetric Detection of Mercury (Hg2+) Using DNA/Nanoparticle Conjugates,” Journal of the American Chemical Society 2008, 130 3244-3245 (Selected by the editor and highlighted in JACS Select #5 issue: Chemistry at the Nano-Bio Interface).
-  F. Wang, X. Xue and X. Liu*, “Multicolor Tuning of (Ln, P)-Doped YVO4 Nanoparticles by Single Wavelength Excitation,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition <http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/26737/home> 2008, 47, 906-909 (Featured as a journal inside-cover article).
-  J. Yuan, X. Liu, O. Akbulut, J. Hu, S. Suib, J. Kong, F. Stellacci, “Recyclable, Thermal-Stable, Selective, Superwetting Nanowire Membranes,” Nature Nanotechnology 2008, 3, 332-336 (Highlighted in The Straits Times, The Sunday Times (UK), Yahoo News, MIT Technology Reviews, Nature News, Discovery Channel, and NewScientist).
Before Joining NUS
-  X. Liu, N. Wu, B. H. Wunsch, R. J. Barsotti, F. Stellacci, “Shape-controlled Growth of Micrometer-sized Gold Crystals by a Slow Reduction Method, ” Small 2006, 2, 1046-1050.
-  X. Liu, Y. Zhang, D. K. Goswami, J. S. Okasinski, K. Salaita, P. Sun, M. J. Bedzyk, C. A. Mirkin, “The controlled Evolution of a Single Crystal,” Science 2005, 307, 1763-1766.
-  M. V. Ovchinnikov, A. M. Brown, X. Liu, C. A. Mirkin, L. N. Zakharov, A. L. Rheingold, “Ligand Dissymmetric Metallomacrocycles Generated via the Weak-Link Approach,” Inorganic Chemistry 2004, 43, 8233-8235.
-  J.-M. Nam, S. Han, K. Lee, X. Liu, M. Ratner, C. A. Mirkin, “Bioactive Protein Nanoarrays on Nickel Oxide Surfaces Formed by Dip-Pen Nanolithography,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition
<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/26737/home> 2004, 43, 1246-1249.
-  X. Liu, S. Guo, C. A. Mirkin, “Surface and Site-Specific Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization Initiated by Dip-Pen Nanolithography,”Angewandte Chemie International Edition
<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/26737/home> 2003, 42, 4785-4788.
-  J.-M. Nam, M. A. Ratner, X. Liu, C. A. Mirkin, “Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes and C60 Encapsulated by a Molecular Macrocycle,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2003, 107, 4705-4710.
-  L. Fu, X. Liu, Y. Zhang, V. P. Dravid, C. A. Mirkin, “Nanopatterning of Hard Magnetic Nanostructures via Dip-Pen Nanolithography and a Sol-Based Ink,” Nano Letters 2003, 3, 757-760.
-  X. Liu, C. L. Stern, C. A. Mirkin, “Chemical Origami: Formation of Flexible 52-Membered Tetranuclear Metallacylces via a Molecular Square Formed from a Hemilabile Ligand,“ Organometallics 2002, 21, 1017-1019.
-  M. Su, X. Liu, S.-Y. Li, V. P. Dravid, C. A. Mirkin, C. A, “Moving Beyond Molecules: Patterning Solid-State Features via Dip-Pen Nanolithograpy with Sol-Based Inks,” Journal of the American Chemical Society 2002, 124, 1560-1561.
-  X. Liu, L. Fu, S. Hong, V. P. Dravid, C. A. Mirkin, “Arrays of Magnetic Nanoparticles via Dip-Pen Nanolithography,” Advanced Materials 2002, 14, 231-234.
-  X. Liu, A. H. Eisenberg, C. L. Stern, C. A. Mirkin, “Flexible Redox-Active Binuclear Macrocycles Formed via the Weak-Link Approach and Novel Hemilabile Ligands with N,N,N’,N’-Tetramethyl-1,4-phenylenediamine Units,” Inorganic Chemistry 2001, 40, 2940-2941.