Professor LOH Kian Ping
(HEAD, CHEMISTRY DEPARTMENT)
Ph.D. (Oxford), Postdoc (NIMS, Japan)
| Department of Chemistry, NUS
3 Science Drive 3
| Office: S8-05-08
1. Surface Science of Carbon at the Atomic Domains (STM, TEM, ARPES, HREELS)
2. Two dimensional Thin Films (graphene, topological insulators and metal oxides)
3. Optical and Plasmonic properties of Graphene
4. Catalysis using Graphene Oxide and Nanodiamond
5. Bioapplications of Graphene and Nanodiamond
6. Industrial Scaling and Applications of Graphene Composites
Selected example of our work:
Developing graphene for photovoltaics
We look at the interface engineering of graphene in the context of high performance solar cell.
Figure 1. Top left: layer-by-layer assembly and doping of graphene; Top right: Quantum Hall Effect at T = 2K and B = 9T for the same device. The first five half-integer plateaus with n = 2, 6, 10, 14 and 18, which are the fingerprint of single layer graphene, are clearly observed. Bottom left: Schematic of the organic solar cell using MoO3-modifed graphene electrode; Bottom right: Comparison of the power conversion efficiency of graphene electrode with ITO. Published in Advanced Materials 23, 1514 (2011).
Figure 2. Application of Graphene Oxide for DNA sensing [ref 7]
Figure 3. STM images and strain mapping of a hexagonal graphene nanobubble.
Figure 4. The addition of pyridine-functionalized graphene changes the crystallization process of metalloporphyrin in MOF, increases the porosity and enhances the electrocatalytic activity for facile 4 electron transfer oxygen reduction reaction [Ref 9].
- Face-to-face Transfer of Wafer-Scale Graphene Films
By: Gao, Libo; Ni, Guang-Xin; Liu, Yanpeng, A. H. Castro-Neto, Kian Ping Loh*
NATURE, 505, 190-194 (2014)
- The chemistry of ultra-thin transition metal dichalcogenide nanosheets
Manish Chhowalla, Goki Eda, Kian Ping Loh et. al.
Nature Chemistry 5, 263-275 (2013).
- Exfoliation of Two Dimensional Chalcogenides using Sodium Naphtalenide
Jian Zheng and Kian Ping Loh*
Nature Communications 2013, 10.1038/ncomms3995.
- Transforming Fullerene Molecules into Graphene Quantum dots
Jiong Lu, Pei Shan Emmeline Yeo, Chee Kwan Gan, Ping Yu and Loh, KP*
Nature Nanotechnology, 6, 247–252, (2011).
- Graphene as broadband polarizer
Q. Bao, H. Zhang, B. Wang, Z. Ni, Candy H.Y.X. Lim, Y. Wang, D. Y. Tang, Loh KP*
Nature Photonics, 5, 411–415 (2011).
- Graphene oxide as a chemically tunable platform for optical applications
Loh KP*, Bao QL, Eda G, Manish Chowalla
Nature Chemistry, 2, 12, 1015-1024 (2010).
- Transforming Graphene Moire Blisters to Geometric Nanobubbles
Jiong Lu, A. H. Castro Neto and Kian Ping Loh*
Nature Communications 8;3:823.(2012).
- Order-Disorder Transition in a 2-D B-C-N alloy
Jiong Lu, Kai Zhang, Tze Chien Su,, A. H. Castro Neto, Kian Ping Loh*
Nature Communictions, 4, 2681 (2013).
- Probing the Catalytic Activity of Graphene Oxide and its origin
Chen Liang Su and Kian Ping Loh* et. al.,
Nature Communications, 3, 1298 (2012).
A hydrothermal Anvil made of Graphene nanobubbles on diamond
Candy Su, Kian Ping Loh et. al.*
Nature Communications 4,1556 (2013), 10.1038/ncomms 2579.
Step Flow Versus Mosaic Film Growth in Hexagonal Boron Nitride
Jiong Lu, Pei Shan Emmeline Yeo, Yi Zheng, Hai Xu, Chee Kwan Gan , Michael B. Sullivan , A.H. Castro Neto, and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2013, 135 (6), pp 2368–2373.
- High-Yield Synthesis of Few-Layer Graphene Flakes through Electrochemical Expansion of Graphite in Propylene Carbonate Electrolyte
Junzhong Wang, Kiran Kumar Manga, Qiaoliang Bao, and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133 (23), pp 8888–8891.
- Structure-Directing Role of Graphene in the Synthesis of Metal-Organic Framework Nanowire
Maryam Jahan, Qiaoliang Bao, Jia-xiang Yang and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132, pp 14487–14495.
- Electrocatalytically Active Graphene–Porphyrin MOF Composite for Oxygen Reduction Reaction
Maryam Jahan. Qiaoliang Bao and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, DOI: 10.1021/ja211433h.
- Graphene-Based SELDI Probe with Ultrahigh Extraction and Sensitivity for DNA Oligomer
Lena Ai Ling Tang, Junzhong Wang and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2010, 132 (32), pp 10976–10977.
- Solution-Gated Epitaxial Graphene as pH Sensor
Priscilla Kailian Ang, Wei Chen, Andrew Thye Shen Wee and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2008, 130 (44), pp 14392–14393.
- Room-Temperature Synthesis of Soluble Carbon Nanotubes by the Sonication of Graphene Oxide Nanosheets
Shuai Wang, Lena Ai ling Tang, Qiaoliang Bao, Ming Lin, Suzi Deng, Bee Min Goh and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2009, 131 (46), pp 16832–16837.
- Coordination-Assisted Assembly of 1-D Nanostructured Light-Harvesting Antenna
Xuanjun Zhang, Zhi-Kuan Chen and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2009, 131 (21), pp 7210–7211.
- Arsenic(II) Sulfide Quantum Dots Prepared by a Wet Process from its Bulk
Junzhong Wang, Ming Lin, Tianyu Zhang, Yongli Yan, Paul C. Ho, Qing-Hua Xu and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2008, 130 (35), pp 11596–11597.
- CdSe/AsS Core−Shell Quantum Dots: Preparation and Two-Photon Fluorescence
Junzhong Wang, Ming Lin, Yongli Yan, Zhe Wang, Paul C. Ho and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2009, 131 (32), pp 11300–11301.
- Electrostatically Self-Assembled Polyoxometalates on Molecular-Dye-Functionalized Diamond
Yu Lin Zhong, Wibowo Ng, Jia-Xiang Yang and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2009, 131 (51), pp 18293–18298.
- Diamond-Based Molecular Platform for Photoelectrochemistry
Yu Lin Zhong, Anupam Midya, Zhaoyue Ng, Zhi-Kuan Chen, Michael Daenen, Milos Nesladek and Kian Ping Loh*
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2008, 130 (51), pp 17218–17219.
- Flow Sensing of Single Cell by Graphene Transistor in a Microfluidic Channel
Priscilla Kailian Ang, Ang Li, Manu Jaiswa, Yu Wang, Han Wei Hou, John T. L. Thong, Chwee Teck Lim*, and Kian Ping Loh*
Nano Letters, 2011, 11 (12), pp 5240–5246.
- High Mobility, Printable, and Solution-Processed Graphene Electronics.
Wang, S.; Ang, P. K.; Wang, Z.; Tang, A. L. L.; Thong, J. T. L.; Loh, K. P.*
Nano Letters 2010, 10, 92-98.
Observing High-Pressure Chemistry in Graphene Bubbles
Candy Haley Yi Xuan Lim, Milos Nesladek, Kian Ping Loh*
Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2013, 10.1002/anie.201308682.
- Single-Molecule Chemical Reactions Tracked at the Atomic-Bond Level
Jiong Lu and
and Kian Ping Loh*
Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 52, 51 (2013) 13521-13523.
- Room-Temperature Ice Growth on Graphite Seeded by Nano-Graphene Oxide
Yi Zheng, Chenliang Su, Jiong Lu and Kian Ping Loh*
Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 52, 33, (2013) 8708–8712
- A Graphene Oxide–Organic Dye Ionic Complex with DNA-Sensing and Optical-Limiting Properties
Balapanuru, J., Yang, J.-X., Xiao, S., Bao, Q., Jahan, M., Polavarapu, L., Wei, J., Xu, Q.-H. and Loh, K.P
Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 49 (37), 2010, 6549–6553.
Invited Talks 2013-2010
- Invited speaker at ACS symposium on Graphene Chemistry, Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, USA "Graphene Oxide as Carbocatalysts" 9/04/2013-10/04/2013
Invited speaker at Graphene 2013, Imaginano,
Bilbao Convention Centre, Spain, Bilbao
"Interesting properties of Strained and Defective Graphene" 22/04/2013-26/04/2013
- Loh, K. P., “Making Nanographene” 24th International Microprocesses and Nanotechnology Conference (MNC2011) - Chemistry of Graphene and its Application Biology and Optoelectronics (PLENARY paper, 25th October 2011, ANA Hotel, Kyoto)
- Loh, K. P., “Synthesis of Graphene Nanodots, Nanobubbles and Nanoripples” International Conference on the Science and Application of Nanotubes (NT11) : Symposium on Graphene Technology: Production, Assembly and Applications. (INVITED paper, July 10-16, 2011. University of Cambridge, (UK))
- Loh, K. P, “Making Nanographene” NANOKOREA 2011, (INVITED paper, Graphene Symposium, August 24-26, Kintex, Seoul, South Korea)
- Loh, K. P. “Chemistry and Optical Applications of Graphene” (*PLENARY paper at the 2011 International Workshop on Nanomaterials and Nanodevices to be held in Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, July 1-7th, 2011) *DECLINED to attend due to busy schedule
- "The Photovoltaic Application of Graphene". NATURE CONFERENCE ON GRAPHENE: THE ROAD TO APPLICATIONS (INVITED paper) (11 - 13 May 2011, Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston, Cambridge, Boston, United States)
- Loh, K P, "MAKING NANOGRAPHENE". 2011 MRS SPRING MEETING (Invited paper) (25 - 29 Apr 2011, MARRIOT HOTEL, SAN FRANCISCO, United States)
- Loh, K P, "Making Nanographene". GRAPHENE 2011 CONFERENCE AT IMAGINENANO 2011 (Keynote paper) (11 - 14 Apr 2011, BILBAO EXHIBITION CENTRE, BILBAO, Spain
- Loh, K P, "Chemistry of Graphene and Its Technological Application in Industry". The Innovation of Chemistry and Materials: The 5th Ulsan Chemistry Day (Plenary paper) (22 Mar 2011, UNIST CAMPUS, ULSAN, South Korea)
- Loh, K P, "Making Graphene and Nanographene". 2011 AVS‑TAIWAN/Joint American Vacuum Society/ROC Physical Society Annual Meeting: Advances in Nano‑Bio Interfaces (Keynote paper) (25 - 26 Jan 2011, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan)
- Loh, K P, "The chemistry of graphene". Graphene Workshop in Tsukuba 2011 (Keynote paper) (17 - 18 Jan 2011, Okura Frontier Hotel, Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan)
- Loh, K P, "The Chemistry of Graphene". International Symposium on General Aspects of Graphene, CNT and Ultrafast Phenomena of Nanomaterials (Invited paper) (15 - 16 Nov 2010, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan)
- Loh, K P, "The Chemistry of Graphene". ENGE 2010: International Conference on Electronic Materials and Nanotechnology for Green Environment (Invited paper) (21- 24 Nov 2010, Ramada Plaza Jeju Hotel, Jeju, South Korea)
- Loh, K P, "The Chemistry of Graphene". 2010 DASAN Conference on Graphene Science and Technology (Invited paper) (10 - 12 Nov 2010, Seogwipo KAL Hotel, Jeju, South Korea)
- Loh, K P, "The chemistry of graphene". 8th International Symposium for Chinese Inorganic Chemists (Plenary paper) (22 - 25 Oct 2010, Institute of Chemistry, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan)
- Loh, K P, "The Chemistry of Graphene". National Conference on Nano, Surface and Graphene Science and Technologies 2010 (Plenary paper) (10 - 12 Sep 2010, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China)
- Loh, K P, "Graphene versus Diamond as a Biosensing and Bioanalytics Platform". 21st European Conference on Diamond, Diamond- Like Materials, Carbon Nanotubes, and Nitrides (Keynote paper) ( 5 - 9 Sep 2010, BUDAPEST, Hungary)
- Loh, K P, "THE CHEMISTRY OF GRAPHENE". International symposium on Graphene & Devices 2010 (Plenary paper) (26 - 27 Aug 2010, ULSAN NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, ULSAN, South Korea)
- Loh, K P, "The Chemistry of Graphene". 4th International Conference on New Diamond and Nanocarbon (NDNC2010) (Keynote paper) (16 - 20 May 2010, Garden Hotel, SUZHOU, China)
- Loh, K P, "Synthesis of Graphene Organic‑Inorganic Hybrids". Symposium S, Graphene Materials and Devices 2010 MRS Spring Meeting (Invited paper) ( 5 - 9 Apr 2010, Marriot Hotel, San Francisco, United States)
- Loh, K P, "Functionalisation and Photovoltaic Applications of Carbon Surfaces". Hasselt Diamond Workshop 2010-SBDD XV (Invited paper) (22 - 24 Feb 2010, Cultuurcentrum Hasselt, Hasselt, Belgium)