Professor XU Guo Qin
B.Sc., 1982, Fudan University; Ph.D., 1987, Princeton University
| Department of Chemistry, NUS
3 Science Drive 3
| Office: S7-04-13
Our research work is focused on four topics:
(i) surface chemistry of excited adsorbates on metal and semiconductors.
(ii) interactions of reactive atomic beams with surfaces.
(iii) the chemical reactivities of 2-D metal films supported on insulators.
(iv) synthesis and applications of nano-materials.
Currently, the laboratory is equipped with a relatively wide range of sophisticated surface techniques, such as, thermal desorption spectroscopy (TDS), low energy electron diffraction (LEED), high resolution electron energy loss spectroscopy (HREELS), X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), ultra-violet photoelectron spectroscopy (UPS), Auger electron spectroscopy (AES), excimer UV laser and 1000W UV lamp. A UHV STM with variable temperature has been recently installed, providing us the capability of resolving and manipulating the atomic arrangement on surfaces. In addition, an arcing system was designed and built for preparing C60 and carbon nanotubes.
- Y.P. Zhang, J.H. He, G.Q. Xu, E.S. Tok, Architecturing Covalently Bonded Organic Bilayers on the Si(111)-(7 x 7) Surface via in Situ Photoinduced Reaction, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 116 (2012) 8943-8949.
- J.H. Wu, T.Z. Xu, S.G. Ang, Q.-H. Xu, G.Q. Xu, Radially oriented anthracene nanowire arrays: preparation, growth mechanism, and optical fluorescence, Nanoscale, 3 (2011) 1855-1860.
- J.H. Wu, B. Varghese, X.D. Zhou, S.Y. Teo, C.H. Sow, S.G. Ang, G.Q. Xu, Interconnected Networks of Zn(NO3)(2)center dot 6(H2O) Nanotubes and Its Solid-Phase Transformation into Porous Zinc Oxide Architectures, Chemistry of Materials, 22 (2010) 1533-1539.
- F. Tao, S.L. Bernasek, G.-Q. Xu, Electronic and Structural Factors in Modification and Functionalization of Clean and Passivated Semiconductor Surfaces with Aromatic Systems, Chemical Reviews, 109 (2009) 3991-4024.
- F. Gu, G.Q. Xu, S.G. Ang, Studies on CuTAPc-nanotube-modified electrodes as chemical sensors for NO, Nanotechnology, 20 (2009).
- Y.H. Cai, Y.X. Shao, G.Q. Xu, Photoinduced construction of a second covalently bonded organic layer on the Si(111)-7 x 7 surface, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 129 (2007) 8404-+.
- F. Tao, G.Q. Xu, Attachment chemistry of organic molecules on Si(111)-7x7, Accounts of Chemical Research, 37 (2004) 882-893.
- F. Tao, Z.H. Wang, Y.H. Lai, G.Q. Xu, Attachment of styrene and phenylacetylene on si(111)-7 x 7: The influence of substitution groups on the reaction mechanism and formation of pi-conjugated skeletons, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 125 (2003) 6687-6696.
- Y. Cao, Z. H. Wang, J. F. Deng and G. Q. Xu. Evidence For Dangling Bond Mediated Dimerization of Furan on the Silicon (111)-(7X7) Surface. Angew. Chem. Int. Edit., 39, 2740-2743 (2000).
- M. H. Qiao, F. Q. Yan, W. S. Sim, J. F. Deng and G. Q. Xu. X-Ray-Induced Polymerization of Furan Overlayers on Ru(001). Surf. Sci., 460, 67-73 (2000).
- G. Q. Xu, B. Liu, S. J. Xu, C. H. Chew, S. J. Chua and L. M. Gan. Luminescence Studies of Cds Spherical Particles Via Hydrothermal Synthesis. J. Phys. Chem. Solids, 61, 829-836 (2000)
- Y. Cao, K. S. Yong, Z. Q. Wang, W. S. Chin, Y. H. Lai, J. F. Deng and G. Q. Xu. Dry Thienylation of the Silicon (111)-(7 X 7) Surface. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 122, 1812-1813 (2000)
- Y. Cao, J. F. Deng and G. Q. Xu. Stereo-Selective Binding of Chlorobenzene on Si(111)-7x7. J. Chem. Phys.,112, 4759-4767 (2000).
- F. Q. Yan, M. H. Qiao, X. M. Wei, Q. P. Liu, J. F. Deng and G. Q. Xu. Coordination and Reaction Mechanism of Furan on Ru(001). J. Chem. Phys., 111, 8068-8076 (1999).
- H. H. Huang, X. Jiang, H. L. Siew, W. S. Chin, W. S. Sim and G. Q. Xu. Oxidation and Growth of ME Thin Films on Ru(001). Surf. Sci., 436, 167-174 (1999).