Professor ZHOU Weibiao
(Director ─ Food and Science Technology Programme)
B.Sc., 1982, Beijing Institute of Chemical Technology; M.Eng.1985, Chinese Academy of Sciences; Ph.D., 1991, The University of Queensland.
Tel: (65)-6516-3501 |
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Personal webpage
Recognition and Achievements
- Editor, Food Control, Elsevier, 2015-present; Int. Journal of Food Properties, Taylor & Francis, 2007-2015.
- Member, Editorial Boards of the following SCI-indexed journals: International Journal of Food Engineering, De Gruyter, 2004-present; Food and Bioprocess Technology, Springer, 2007-present; Food Engineering Reviews, Springer, 2008-present; Czech Journal of Food Sciences, Czech Academy of Agricultural Sciences, 2012-present; Trends in Food Science & Technology, Elsevier, 2014-present; Scientific Reports, Nature Publishing Group, 2014-present; Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, American Chemical Society (ACS), 2015-present.
- Fellow, Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology (AIFST), elected in 2007
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), UK, elected in 2013
- Fellow, International Academy of Food Science and Technology (IAFoST), elected in 2016
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Food Science and Technology (SIFST), elected in 2017.
- MND Medallion, Ministry of National Development (MND), Singapore, November 2015.
- Board Member, Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA), 2008-2015
- Member-at-large, Executive Committee, International Society of Food Engineering (ISFE), 2006-present
My interests are in food processing and food engineering; particularly baking processes, dairy processes, drying processes, functional foods, food process modelling and optimisation, advanced process control, and the effect of food processing on functional components such as antioxidants, isoflavones and probiotics. Specific foci are:
- Innovative processing technologies for next-generation functional foods
- Modeling, optimisation, and advanced control of food processes
Ref: Gao, J.; Ong, J. J. X.; Henry, J.; Zhou, W. Physical breakdown of bread and its impact on texture perception: a dynamic perspective. Food Qual. Prefer. 2017, 60, 96-104.
Bolus hydrated sensation was largely used by the panellist to gauge the swallowing point while bolus texture was used in a feedback control to regulate the mastication behaviour.
- FST3103 Advanced Food Engineering
- FST4102 Advanced Food Processing Technologies
- Gao, J.; Tay, S. L.; Koh, A. H. S.; Zhou, W. Dough and Bread Made from High- and Low- Protein Flours by Vacuum Mixing: Part 2. Yeast Activity, Dough Proofing and Bread Quality. J. Cereal Sci. 2017, 77, 275-283.
- Huang, J.-Y.; Limqueco, J.; Chieng, Y. Y.; Li, X. and Zhou, W. Performance Evaluation of a Novel Food Packaging Material Based on Clay/Polyvinyl Alcohol Nanocomposite. Innov. Food Sci. Emerging Technol. 2017, 43, 216-222
- Gao, J.; Koh, A. H. S.; Tay, S.L.; Zhou, W. Dough and Bread Made from High- and Low- Protein Flours by Vacuum Mixing: Part 1: Gluten Network Formation. J. Cereal Sci. 2017, 74, 288-295.
- Kondakci, T.; Zhou, W. Recent Applications of Advanced Control Techniques in Food Industry. Food Bioprocess Technol. 2017, 10, 522-542.
- Tham, T. W .Y.; Yeoh, A. T. H.; and Zhou, W. Characterisation of Aged Infant Formulas and Physicochemical Changes. Food Chem. 2017, 219, 117-125.
- Tham, T. W. Y.; Xu, X.; Yeoh, A. T. H.; and Zhou, W. Investigation of Caking by Fat Bridging in Aged Infant Formula. Food Chemi. 2017, 218, 30-39.
- Yu, H.; Seow, Y.-X.; Ong, P. K. C.; Zhou, W. Effects of High-intensity Ultrasound on Maillard Reaction in a Model System of D-Xylose and L-Lysine. Ultrason. Sonochem. 2017, 34, 154-163.