Associate Professor LAM Yulin
B.Sc.(Hons), National University of Singapore, 1987; Ph.D., National University of Singapore, 1992; Research Fellow, The Scripps Research Institute, 1992-1994; Research Fellow, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 1994-1996.
Tel: (65)-6516-2688 |
Our research interests include (i) bioorganic and medicinal chemistry, and (ii) green chemical synthesis. Specific foci are:
- Synthesis and biological evaluations of novel organic compounds and natural product derivatives as potential anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and neurological agents;
- Development of recyclable, fluorous reagents and catalysts for organic transformations in water.
Ref: Chern J; Lu C. P.; Fang Z.; Chang C. M.; Hua K. F.; Chen Y. T,; Ng C. Y.; Chen Y. L. S.; Lam Y.; Wu S. H. Affinity-driven Covalent Modulator of Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate Dehydrogenase (GAPDH) Cascade. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. [Online]2018, 57,7040. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201801618 (accessed by 17 April 2018).
Figure shows the targeting of cPLA2 by the newly-designed inhibitor and substrate probes. Left: Identifying differences in cPLA2 level in untreated and Trichostatin A (TSA)-treated SHSY5Y cells. Right: FRET-based assay with the use of substrate probe that demonstrates higher selectivity for cPLA2 against sPLA2.
Ref: Ng, C. Y.; Kwok, T. X. W.; Tan, F. C. K.; Low, C.-M.; Lam, Y. Fluorogenic Probes to Monitor Cytosolic Phospholipase A2 Activity. Chem. Commun. 2017, 53, 1813.
Cytosolic phospholipase A2 (cPLA2) is an ubiquitous enzyme which is highly selective for glycerol-phospholipids containing arachidonic acid (AA). There has been much interest to understand the molecular mechanism regulating this enzyme and to develop therapeutics for the treatment of cPLA2-upregulated diseases. Herein we have developed AA derivatives equipped with either one or two fluorescent groups which function as inhibitor and substrate probes of cPLA2. The inhibition was shown to perform dual functions of inhibition and imaging while the substrate probe could be used for activity assay.
- CM1121 Organic Chemistry 1
- CM5224 Emerging Concepts in Drug Discovery
- S F Husain, R W M Lam, H Tao, M W F Ng, G Z Q Liau, K Nagata, S Khanna, Y L Lam, K Bhakoo, R C M Ho and H-K Wong. “Locating the site of neuropathic pain in vivo using MMP-12 targeted magnetic nanoparticles” Pain Res Manag 2019, 2019, Article ID 9394715 https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/9394715
- Susanto W.; Kong K. H.; Hua K. F.; Wu S. H.; Lam Y. Synthesis of the Trisaccharide Repeating Unit of Capsular Polysaccharide from Klebsiella Pneumoniae. Tetrahedron Lett. 2019, 60, 288 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2018.12.031 (available online: 15 December 2018).
- Chern J; Lu C. P.; Fang Z.; Chang C. M.; Hua K. F.; Chen Y. T,; Ng C. Y.; Chen Y. L. S.; Lam Y.; Wu S. H. Affinity-driven Covalent Modulator of Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate Dehydrogenase (GAPDH) Cascade. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. [Online]2018, 57,7040. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201801618 (accessed by 17 April 2018).
- Ng C. Y.; Kannan, S.; Chen, Y. J.; Tan, F. C. K.; Ong, W. Y.; Go, M. L.; Verma, C. S.; Low, C.-M.; Lam Y. A New Generation of Arachidonic Acid Analogues as Potential Neurological Agent Targeting Cytosolic Phospholipase A2. Sci. Rep. 2017, 7, 13683. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-13996-8 (published on 20 October 2017)
- Ng, C. Y.; Kwok, T. X. W.; Tan, F. C. K.; Low, C.-M.; Lam Y. Fluorogenic Probes to Monitor Cytosolic Phospholipase A2 Activity. Chem. Commun. 2017, 53, 1813. https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/cc/c6cc09305a#!divAbstract (published 2 February 2017).
- Poh, Z. W.; Gan, C.H.; Lee, E. J.; Guo, S.; Yip, G. W.; Lam, Y. Divergent Synthesis of Chondroitin Sulfate Disaccharides and Identification of Sulfate Motifs that Inhibit Triple Negative Breast Cancer. Sci. Rep. 2015, 5, 14355. https://www.nature.com/articles/srep14355 (published 24 September 2015).
- Ang, W. J.; Lam, Y. Allylic and benzylic sp3 C-H oxidation in water. Org. Biomol. Chem. 2015, 13 (4), 1048-1052. DOI: 10.1039/c4ob02017k. Published Online: 20 November 2014. https://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2015/OB/C4OB02017K#!divAbstract
- Huang, H.; Ng, C. Y.; Yu, D. J.; Zhai, J.; Lam, Y.; Soong, T. W. Modest CaV1.342-selective inhibition by compound 8 is β-subunit dependent. Nat. Commun. 2014, 5, 7. https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms5481 (published 24 July 2014).